The baptismal church of San Giacomo in Averara has very ancient origins. In the Privileges granted by Venice in 1443 there already appears permission for the municipality to allocate part of the census to the church. The first building was consecrated in 1468 by Bishop Paolo Nicopolitano, when the Averara Valley belonged to the diocese of Milan. In 1566 St. Charles Borromeo, on a pastoral visit, erected it as a parish. The original building was Romanesque and richly frescoed, with works on the walls, under the portico and along the facades, including interventions by the Baschenis. Between 1713 and 1732 the church was enlarged; notable is the “lumachelle” marble portal from Mezzoldo, surmounted by a fresco of St. James. The parish church was re-consecrated in 1901 by Bishop Gaetano Guindani.Important works of art are preserved inside: the altarpiece of the Virgin Enthroned by Gian Battista Guarinoni (1576), that of the Assumption by Lucano Gagio d'Imola, the central altarpiece of St. James by Anzolo Lion (1621) and two canvases by Marziale Carpinoni. Also of great value is the early 17th-century Venetian altarpiece with Dead Christ and Saints, depicting the ancient settlement of Averara. The wooden furnishings are exceptional: the choir, kneeler and inlaid cabinets by Antonio Rovelli and Antonio Lozza (1690-92), with later interventions by Giovanni Paolo Caniana. Also splendid are the pulpit from 1696 and the large sideboard in the sacristy. The organ is a late 18th-century Serassi, renovated by Prospero Foglia in 1844.
It is possible to access the place of worship freely before and after church services (which are generally held on weekends in the summer and on major holidays) with guided tours available by appointment and for a fee.