The Church of Santa Maria Assunta and San Gallo, the main place of worship in the hamlet of San Gallo in San Giovanni Bianco, has medieval origins: it is mentioned as early as the 1304 synod and in 1360 was reported to be dependent on the parish of Dossena.
Erected as an autonomous parish in 1447, it was the subject of pastoral visits and reforms in the following centuries, documenting its religious importance and the presence of active confraternities. During the 19th century, the building, by then insufficient for the community, was completely rebuilt to a design by Girolamo Salvatore Luchini, enlarged by Elia Fornoni and consecrated in 1897. Despite various interventions, new work was needed in the twentieth century, culminating in the reconstruction of the facade in 1961.
The church, now part of the vicariate of San Giovanni Bianco-Sottochiesa, has a two-tier façade and a single-nave interior dominated by the dome. It houses the valuable Polyptych of San Gallo by Leonardo Boldrini, paintings by Carlo Ceresa and frescoes by Giovanni Brighenti, as well as several altars and devotional works that testify to the long history of the community.